Imagine that God were to appear on Earth for the unlikely purpose of settling, once and for all, our disputes over economic policy. The Discipline of Choices. Julie McCrossin , a day before my name day on 18 March 2005, will tell us why it is essential that we develop the discipline of making the right choices in her speech God and me. Making Right Decisions in a Troubled World
Invisible Hands & Markets: Self Interest of Mirrors
A New Yorker cartoon depicts a well-heeled, elderly gentleman taking his grandson for a walk in the woods. "It's good to know about trees," he tells the boy, before adding, "Just remember, nobody ever made big money knowing about trees."
If the man's advice was not inspired directly by the economist's rational-actor model, it could have been. This model assumes that people are selfish in the narrow sense. It may be nice to know about trees, it acknowledges, but it goes on to caution that the world out there is bitterly competitive, and that those who do not pursue their own interests ruthlessly are likely to be swept aside by others who do.
• The Theory That Self-Interest Is the Sole Motivator Is Self-Fulfilling [ Property developer accused of $3.2m tax fraud ; Rodney Adler has spoken for the first time about the impact the investigation into the HIH collapse has had on his family The terrible toll on my family ]
• · Critical Thinking About Energy The Case for Decentralized Generation of Electricity ; At least 6000 of their colleagues die every year, but China's coalminers tell Hamish McDonald they have nowhere else to go but underground Digging their own graves
• · · A would-be gas developer is confronting the power not of one but many
• · · · Building the American dream…or nightmare? ; Usually the wealthy individual is a businessman who has lived in the same town for all of his life. This person owns a small factory, a chain of stores, or a service company. He has married once and remains married. He lives next door to people with a fraction of his wealth The Millionaire Next Door vs. the Politician in Washington
• · · · · Military base sold for $1 billion ; Two men spend two years making a random 18-year-old gamer the subject of their art project, in which he is informed he is the savior of the future human race. Hoax as art There's Someone at the Door, He Says He's From the Future
• · · · · · The End of Budweiser The End of Super Bowl? ; How to conquer tax research: making the most of online resources, Colin Fong, Taxation in Australia, issue. 39, no. 7, 2005, pp. 362-370. The past ten years have seen enormous changes not only in terms of tax reform, but also in the way tax practitioners have acquired information about taxation. This article highlights how tax research can be conducted using the internet and how to optimise your time in finding useful and relevant information Colin Fong is one of the best Tax librarians in the world